+147

I think empty compliments do as much damage to body image issues as social media does. amirite?

Classicdry2232s avatar Money & Economics
0 20
The voters have decided that Classicdry2232 is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

The difference between telling someone what you think and what you think they want to hear.

Mrtechnohawks avatar Mrtechnohawk Yeah You Are +5Reply

Do you have a specific example of what you mean by "empty" compliment?

DueBodybuildes avatar DueBodybuilde Yeah You Are +5Reply
@DueBodybuilde Do you have a specific example of what you mean by "empty" compliment?

Something like you're beautiful or like cute or whatever to the lines of that. It just makes me feel like I have nothing that's worth complimenting.

I never believe compliments. I'm not blind. I can look in the mirror and see how I look like.

@dankXD I never believe compliments. I'm not blind. I can look in the mirror and see how I look like.

I think you look awesome! The way you wear that text is very flattering.

Achilles982s avatar Achilles982 Yeah You Are +1Reply

Agree!!!! I also hate those compliments that are obviously lies, just trying to be "nice" but it just sounds fake af

I try not to give compliments unless I mean them to be honest; that's just the way I operate, and I'm sure others are like that as well.

lazar94s avatar lazar94 Yeah You Are +3Reply

Do you get fake compliments a lot? It's hard for me to envision a scenario where someone is suspicious of being complimented. Like what are they saying to you that's fake/generic?

jodzdzownicas avatar jodzdzownica Yeah You Are +2Reply
@jodzdzownica Do you get fake compliments a lot? It's hard for me to envision a scenario where someone is suspicious of being...

I feel like almost all the compliments I get are fake or empty lol

Mostly just generic compliment like you look good. You're cute or whatever Those are the generic compliments I mean.

@Classicdry2232 I feel like almost all the compliments I get are fake or empty lol Mostly just generic compliment like you look...

That's your insecurity issues. Most compliments are pretty generic, but that doesn't mean they're not sincere. Learn how to take a compliment.

Tldfonats avatar Tldfonat Yeah You Are +5Reply

Yes, this is exactly how I feel. So I can never really believe anyone that compliments me. Guys will just say your cute or whatever to get into your pants so it's impossible to know if/when it is actually genuine.

synthsexuals avatar synthsexual Yeah You Are +5Reply
@synthsexual Yes, this is exactly how I feel. So I can never really believe anyone that compliments me. Guys will just say your...

Glad to see a female that understands this. Many women have established a skewed sense of their own attractiveness due to compliments from men that are not genuine.

If I experienced this it would piss me off, not knowing who actually liked me.

xjinxxzs avatar xjinxxz Yeah You Are +6Reply

Why would someone say that to you unprompted though? I mean, are you asking them and that's how they respond? Or do you just have random people telling you that you look good?

Mytokhondrias avatar Mytokhondria Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Mytokhondria Why would someone say that to you unprompted though? I mean, are you asking them and that's how they respond? Or do...

Most of the times it's just in dms but every now and then some people would just say it to my face unprompted.

I don't get it. What's the point of complimenting someone if you don't actually mean it? Why waste the air?

This plays out in many ways.

Someone being told they are beautiful/handsome is likely to be overheard by someone who receives no such compliment who will then feel bad about it, even if the compliment was empty.

And if it is empty, the person receiving the compliment is just as likely to take it in a negative way.

Mcgee0s avatar Mcgee0 Yeah You Are +2Reply

I think it's a you issue. Your self-esteem is so low that you assume people are just pandering to you.

Good point. When you have kids make sure to never say anything nice to them. Don't want to confuse them with disingenuous compliments now do we?