+58

We will never be able to know the exact reason for our existence and the existence of the universe. amirite?

Vexontes avatar Science
0 85
The voters have decided that Vexonte is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

The car warranty telemarketers ran out of numbers to call in their home universe, so they created ours.

Thatoneduderyans avatar Thatoneduderyan Yeah You Are +7Reply

As for us, there isn't one. As for the universe we already know. Matter become unstable and exploded.

We will never be able to know the reason for the existence of the universe.....why? Because there is NO reason or do you mean you personally won't live long enough to find out? Serious question 🤔

Not one single thing in this universe asks to be explained, except us. So when contemplating the meaning of it all. 42 is as good an answer as any.

@bigdaddy69-4life Not one single thing in this universe asks to be explained, except us. So when contemplating the meaning of it all...

If you fake throw a log to a dog, the dog would be confused and expect an explanation. Its part of living beings to expect explanation. 42 is not a good answer as any.

@Achilles982 If you fake throw a log to a dog, the dog would be confused and expect an explanation. Its part of living beings to...

Did you see that video floating around with the dog trying to get the statue to throw the stick?

That's humans seeking cosmic meaning.

How do you know that? You've been able to communicate with every being in the universe?

Alternatively everything in the universe is one whole. In that way, everything questions its existence at every point in time at all times.

@DueBodybuilde How do you know that? You've been able to communicate with every being in the universe? Alternatively everything...

Orrrr…42…ima go do something now. You're smart, you'll figure it out, the universe is counting on you.

Not one single thing in this universe asks to be explained, except us

We ARE the universe. We weren't added from an external source.

Openeyess avatar Openeyes Yeah You Are +2Reply

Physicist Max Tegmark argues that the nature of our reality is purely mathematical, and that everything exists simply because it's a mathematical possibility that it exists.

@dankXD The universe DGAF about math.

Gravity DGAF about physics.

@dankXD The universe DGAF about math.

Math is our interpretation of what the universe does and it's laws (along with physics), so I would say it cares

Shiny244s avatar Shiny244 Yeah You Are +4Reply
@dankXD The universe DGAF about math.

The universe is math though

Gangstacat4882s avatar Gangstacat4882 Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Gangstacat4882 The universe is math though

No it's not, math is humanity's most efficient way of understanding and predicting the universe's observable behavior. I'm sure we can come up with completely different systems that will also yield accurate results while being completely different from mathematics.

@Alixkast No it's not, math is humanity's most efficient way of understanding and predicting the universe's observable...

That's a bit of a stretch. If there were systems that were completely different but also accurate, we'd have some semblance of them existing by now. You'd be much more likely to find that everything is more accurate simply by using a different number system like base 7 or the like, which is more akin to just doing math in a different language.

I would say it's a safe bet that any system that accurately predicts the universe's behavior will include pattern recognition and logic, which is all math truly is in its basic form.

We do know that there is no reason or goals. Hazard put a complex chemical reaction (aka: life) on this planet (and probably billions of others) and you where born completely out of hazard too.

You give a sense for the future of your life, that's all. YOU give a sense, it's not predetermined. Unless you can prove otherwise, which nobody did until now.

I don't think we're here for any reason as such except maybe to procreate and expand the human race. that being said we will eventually expand out from this planet and in the far off future we will have colonized multiple stellar systems, assuming we don't wipe ourselves out before that all happens.

contextrips avatar contextrip Yeah You Are +5Reply

There's no real reason. That's why religion exists, to help those who can't cope well with the unknown.

Why does there need to be a universal reason? You decide what the meaning of your life is, nobody else.

There is no rhyme or reason. We are all simply creatures able to swarm and multiply where conditions allow it.

Fear. The Big Bang was fear the size of God. And we are living it out in life-size bites until we learn life is but a dream and we are One

This is only true if there is no afterlife where in fact the existence of the universe would be explained. We can't know one way or another.

There is no reason, and thats good, it would be more unsetteling if there was one

Boknows12s avatar Boknows12 Yeah You Are +3Reply
@Boknows12 There is no reason, and thats good, it would be more unsetteling if there was one

Imagine if there was an end goal. We complete it then what? Maybe level 2?

If a tree falls in the woods, does it make a sound? Similarly, if the universe never produces consciousness in some form and at some point to witness itself, does it ever really exist?

@Mrtechnohawk Prove it

Easy. We have an overwhelming amount of evidence that points to things, in fact, existing way before any form of life appeared on Earth. And the Theory of Relativity suggests that all points in time are equally part of reality, so those things, in a sense, still exist and will always exist.

@LookAnAltAccount Easy. We have an overwhelming amount of evidence that points to things, in fact, existing way before any form of...

You can argue particles can interact with themselves, giving them their own form of observation of the universe. But there is no evidence of any observation before the universe was created. Is that simply because there was just absolutely nothing, or just nothing able to be observed.

The exact reason for the existence of the universe is likely unknowable since any of the methods we would employ in such an endeavor would only work within the construct of our universe. The laws of physics only work within our space-time continuum.

The exact reason for our humanity's existence, on the contrary, is quite simple: there isn't one. We're just a random instance of dumb luck. Now that we're here our reason for existence is to survive and reproduce, like every other one of the species that exist today or have existed in the past. Anything else is just philosophy.

We do. It's called the anthropic principle:

We, observers, exist. And that we exist in this Universe, and therefore the Universe exists in a way that it allows observers to come into existence

A better question is: Should there even be a reason? I think our existence is more meaningful if it just came out of unformed chaos. A glimmer in the dark torrents of time.

But if theres a reason, then thats all there is to us. Nothing more, nothing less. Practically worthless.

@bibbitybobbitybacon A better question is: Should there even be a reason? I think our existence is more meaningful if it just came out...

Another possible outcome can be that the reason for the universes existence doesn't involve us at all and we are just a simple side effect of the interaction of particles. The goal of the universe existing can be something so unimaginably complex that we can be created, form a consciousness, and still only observe and not even begin to fathom the reason behind.

One thing I know for sure is that, we have no clue what we will or won't know in the future.

Source: all of history

@Kionix Aka all we know is that we don't know

All we know is that we don't know nothin

And that's fine

You can't know what you don't know. You can't know about things you have yet to discover.

Jonathan Raymond

and the worst thing is we dont even know what we dont know

Mcgee0s avatar Mcgee0 Yeah You Are +2Reply
@xjinxxz One thing I know for sure is that, we have no clue what we will or won't know in the future. Source: all of history

I know that I will know the amount of change I have in my pocket if I check my pocket so what's your point

@browndog888 Actually if you go by history the human race is pretty predictable.

I dunno how you want to predict something get made which never existed before but ok

@monsterallergies I dunno how you want to predict something get made which never existed before but ok

More in the context of Famine leads to War, War leads to destruction and innovation. Innovation leads to advancement and progress which becomes growth until it becomes unmanageable and Famine hits back

kervernspercers avatar kervernspercer Yeah You Are +3Reply
@kervernspercer More in the context of Famine leads to War, War leads to destruction and innovation. Innovation leads to...

Thats very irregular circle, you talk about world wars, but there was 200 years of innovation before And before that was 1000 years without innovation because god Did everything And Smart person was witch or demon And they burned them at stake. Also at any time will be some Fight, Battle or war somewhere

freq432s avatar freq432 Yeah You Are +3Reply

I know this is true as stated. However, my gut tells me that the human species will die out long before we have a chance to find the answers to those questions. I think about this all the time. I'm ok with being mortal for the most part, but the fact that you don't get to know those answers really irks me.

Iapetus-11s avatar Iapetus-11 Yeah You Are 0Reply

You mean you've never read the bible?! It's got all the answers!!

@Mytokhondria You mean you've never read the bible?! It's got all the answers!!

Thanks to the bible, I learned that I can cure the blind, feed a whole lot of people with 1 fish, avoid temptation, create a planet in 6 days and resurrect myself inside a tomb.

Thank you Holy Bible!!!!!!

The answer is simple, to please the kitty. One day if I work very hard I'll get past the look of mild annoyance

Because reason is a man made term. And the universe is not man made.

It's to mature, spread seed and die. Don't look into it as deeply as you are. It's just spread your genetic code, attempt to raise your spawn until they can spread their genes, mission success, pack it up, you're done.

There is no purpose, we as a living being was an accident, an amalgamation of space dust given consciousness, the only purpose are the ones we make ourselves

Shiny244s avatar Shiny244 Yeah You Are +2Reply

Presumption of natural intent. How did you determine a reason for either of those things exists?

"Reason for our existence". I mean, in absense of some sort of creator, there's a good chance there isn't one.

Do we have to have a reason for the existence of the universe? Even if we don't speak religiously, does the fact that we exist mean there is or ought to be a reason/purpose for coming into being? Does the fact that we did come into being suggest there's a cause?

Because there isn't a reason. Pretty simple. "I can't find the answer to a made up question!"

@Dairyqueenemployee Because there isn't a reason. Pretty simple. "I can't find the answer to a made up question!"

In that sense, everything is all made up in your mind anyways. But that doesn't mean it does not exist out of our mind too. Why is there an existence beyond our own consciousness, there does not need to be anything, but there is. When we don't observe the universe it still exists. When we do observe the universe how do we know what we are observing is truly what's there and not just the maximum our brain can allow. Simply saying there isn't a reason seems disingenuous, just because we cannot grasp enough to have a concrete theory does not mean we need to disregard the functions as random.

We are born by the Blood,
Made man by the Blood,
Undone by the Blood,
Our eyes are yet to open

Declaring that we will never know is the same thing as declaring that you know.

The reason: there is no reason. Things just kinda happened that way

kervernspercers avatar kervernspercer Yeah You Are +2Reply

Don't mean we can't try to figure it out. Hell maybe that's our purpose? To find out why anything exists.

You're gonna be really bummed when you die and some dude tells you this was all actually a test to see if you were allowed into his cool kids club, but you played with your penis a lot as a teenager so now you have to go live in fire for eternity.

@Alixkast You're gonna be really bummed when you die and some dude tells you this was all actually a test to see if you were...

I don't know why but this made me think of Tallahassee "I'm not going to play with you at Pacific Playland." 🤣

Prettydottys avatar Prettydotty Yeah You Are +1Reply

There is no "reason" we exist. We just exist and have to deal with that.

People keep wanting a "reason". There is no reason, it just happened.

I guess the problem is how!

Why do you assume there is a "reason" for our existence? Giving "reasons" to events is a human construct, it's not something objective and absolute

There is a "how" we exist, but not a "why"

I find it interesting that humans can cut open every animal look at its brain, and be like " this animal can't do X, because of regions Y& Z in its brain" then we ask crazy questions and want answers to them, as if we did not evolve with any common ancestors as the animals we cut open.

Or will we? That's one of the tenants of many religions is that once you shuffle off the body you gain access to perfect knowledge and oneness with eternity

The idea that a brain can understand a brain has always been a stretch to me. A lot of people say that once their brain is addled with hallucinogens they understand the cosmos better.

That's because there is no reason. It's just a product of the natural order of the universe.

Larny2019s avatar Larny2019 Yeah You Are 0Reply

obviously we exist to make memes and laugh at them. without man there is no meme. without meme there is no man. man and meme are the harmony of cyberspace

Do you mean the structural and functional cascade of cause and effect interactions that flowed together to result in this moment, or do you mean the intention that catalyzed those interactions? If it's the latter, there isn't one. There is not a deliberate reason for existence. Deliberation requires consciousness, and consciousness is a result of existence, not a cause of it.

@Pmbuttpics4adrawing Do you mean the structural and functional cascade of cause and effect interactions that flowed together to result...

We do not understand consciousness well enough to make any valuable contributions to the discussion, and sadly I don't think we ever will. How can a product of consciousness be able to visualize itself. How can we say with confidence that being conscious is a result of existence when we cannot even comprehend the beginning of consciousness as we view it ourselves.

False. Monty Python made a whole movie about the meaning of life. The called it "The Meaning of Life."