+153 Motorcycles should be painted in bright reflective colors so that cars can see them better. amirite?

by Anonymous 10 months ago

They do. Motorcycles have front, rear, wheel, and sometimes side reflectors. They're not the problem, drivers who don't pay attention are.

by Anonymous 11 months ago

>drivers who don't pay attention are Bikers often speed and drive in unpredictable manners making it difficult for drivers to notice

by Anonymous 11 months ago

Probably something with my dissociation and what not, which leads me to my next unpopular opinion I'm gonna make. Tomorrow if I remember.

by Anonymous 11 months ago

Seek therapy for... whatever that is.

by Anonymous 11 months ago

?

by Anonymous 11 months ago

Thx for the validation

by Anonymous 11 months ago

This is why reflective gear is a common piece of safety equipment. If your excuse for "running into them or pushing g them off the road" is that their vehicle wasn't bright enough or reflective enough for you to see, you shouldn't be driving. At all. Your vision is either too impaired for you to safely operate a vehicle, or you just don't pay enough attention to the road and you are a risk to other drivers.

by Anonymous 11 months ago

I would never drive a motorcycle, because other drivers exist. But also just use you're mirrors. And check your blind spots before changing lanes. It's really not that hard. Also they're pretty loud so that should help.

by Anonymous 11 months ago

paying more attention to your surroundings may help

by Anonymous 11 months ago

There's a lot of high-vis gear on the market, but a lot of people don't buy / wear it because it looks dumb. Similarly, motorcycle manufacturers would also likely sell a lot less bikes if everything was high-vis.

by Anonymous 11 months ago

Ha! A guy turned left less than 100 feet in front of me totaling my bike. I was on a bright yellow bike with the light on, wearing a bright yellow traffic vest and white (thankfully full face) helmet with a flashing light on it. He didn't see me because he was looking for a parking spot. I was only going about 30 but broke the rear passenger window with my head. Car drivers need to pay attention to driving.

by Anonymous 11 months ago

Yeah a lot of people just shouldn't be driving, they lack awarness for their surroundings. I got hit by a car while walking on the side walk, i was in a well lit area, a car show had just ended and there was a traffick jam, guess the guy just didnt want to wait because next thing i know im thrown back, all i see is this huge truck swerving around other cars to speed out of there. Like i said, i was on the sidewalk, ive also had people blow through red lights and almost get me while i was half way across the street. There's not much you can do if you're on a bike or a pedestrian if the people driving huge metal balls can't be assed to actually care, something about cars seems to make people impatient.

by Anonymous 11 months ago

Motorcycle headlights are always on when the bike is running. Is that "bright" enough?

by Anonymous 11 months ago

Learn to drive better. You're obviously not paying attention.

by Anonymous 11 months ago

The "Hurt Report" published in the 70s showed the riders gear color was more important than bike colors. Seems people respond better to the human form, especially in safety yellow.

by Anonymous 11 months ago

Colors would not make that much of a difference, it has a lot more to do with surface area

by Anonymous 11 months ago

What are colours gonna do, you can already hear them miles away

by Anonymous 11 months ago

Not really, little thing called the dopplar effect. Sight first, then sound.

by Anonymous 11 months ago

That's....not doppler

by Anonymous 11 months ago

I was using a loose interpretation, you'll see the bike hit you before you react to hearing it.

by Anonymous 11 months ago

As a motorcylist, there are so many options for bright reflective vests, helmets, boots etc, but car-drivers just don't pay attention at all. Some people don't even notice police or ambulance with full lights being behind them... Bright color bikes really wouldn't make any difference imo.

by Anonymous 11 months ago

Some advice I got recently for driving around bikes that I think also applies to motorcycles is that when passing, treat them as if they occupy the entire lane. It seems that a lot of problems come from drivers assuming motorcycles can zip around them easily if need be.

by Anonymous 11 months ago

Well this is common sense really. Motorcycles tend to swerve from side to side sometimes to avoid dirt, stones or other stuff in a lane so yeah, treat them as a car occupying the entire width of the road. Seriously, just some oil, water or sand can get a motorcycle to the ground right away with serious injuries.

by Anonymous 11 months ago

Couldn't hurt any. Also motorcyclists and other drivers should obey the traffic laws but that's not gonna happen

by Anonymous 11 months ago

There's a light on them so you can see them or maybe you drive a big car which limits visibility on your front

by Anonymous 11 months ago

And riders should be on fire.

by Anonymous 11 months ago

Because its not their job to make you pay attention to driving.

by Anonymous 11 months ago

I know someone that is semi-truck driver. And while sitting at a red light he got rear ended by car doing 30. The car driver insisted that the truck 'came out of nowhere'. If people can't see a semi-truck sitting at red light they will not see a motorcycle even if looks like a Christmas tree.

by Anonymous 11 months ago