+135 Saying essentially is a more sophisticated way of saying basically. amirite?

by Anonymous 8 months ago

They're similar, but not quite the same meaning - for me at least. "Essentially" is distilling an idea to only its important parts. "Basically" is reforming an idea in more simple terms. Those *can* be the same thing, but aren't always.

by Anonymous 8 months ago

So essentially you're saying that OP is basically not 100% correct?

by Anonymous 8 months ago

Basically.

by Anonymous 8 months ago

Not quite, but essentially, yeah.

by Anonymous 8 months ago

well yeah, but actually yes

by Anonymous 8 months ago

People say 'utilize' instead of 'use' when they wanna sound smart

by Anonymous 8 months ago

Yeah, I totally agree with you Saying "essentially" just adds a touch of refinement to the sentence compared to using "basically".

by Anonymous 8 months ago

"Basically ", "technically", "utilize", and "mute[sic] point" are all signs that the speaker is attempting to sound intelligent.

by Anonymous 8 months ago

No

by Anonymous 8 months ago

The first three all have useful differences from simpler counterparts, the fourth is just a misspelling and thus irrelevant to your central point. * Basically - In basic terms, i.e. simplified to be understood even if it misses important higher-level context * Essentially - In important terms, i.e. distilled to only what's most useful in communicating a larger point * Technically - In strictly factual terms, even in situations where the facts aren't useful to the larger point * Utilize - A more specific definition than its simpler counterpart ("use"), with connotations more centered around the application of a thing vs the consumption of a thing

by Anonymous 8 months ago

I say effectively now

by Anonymous 8 months ago

fun with words, everybody

by Anonymous 8 months ago

Such an essential bitch

by Anonymous 8 months ago

Till ppl start over using it

by Anonymous 8 months ago

I mean, basically, they're essentially the same thing

by Anonymous 8 months ago

I don't know if I can properly explain the difference but I use these two words for specific contexts. They have... different energy? I don't know exactly what it is. I think I use "basically" more often when describing something, and "essentially" more often when giving it as a response to someone. So if I'm saying "it's basically like Minecraft..." I'll do that, but if someone says "So it's like Minecraft?" I respond with "Essentially." I also think when using it to describe something I also tend to use it less to say that I am simplifying my words, and more to say that the concept itself boils down to something really simple. So with basically it's "Well, basically, it's like Minecraft!" to describe something that isn't actually that much like it, but I am simplifying it deeply to explain it. Versus "Well, it's essentially Minecraft." to say that, at its core, it is pretty much JUST Minecraft.

by Anonymous 8 months ago