+14 The black national anthem is devisive. amirite?

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Wtf is the black national anthem

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Wtf is devisive?

by Commercial-Story-972 2 weeks ago

That means things are "device-like",… maybe..?? :)

by hadley21 2 weeks ago

How stupid people spell "divisive"

by Efficient_Eagle_6279 2 weeks ago

No becuz it doesnt matter

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I still do🙋

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

"It'S n0t A eNgLiSh PaPeR!!1!1!" No, but I still have to read it and it should still make sense.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

What if they just believe that's how it's spelled? I'm not going to spell check every single word that I type, just in case I've been misspelling the as Zimplogulon

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I'm sorry, what is the black national anthem? Not from the US so I've never heard about it before

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Yeah I just found out about it through socials, I was watching the Super Bowl last night and it wasn't even shown on the channel I was watching. Just the US Anthem

by roobyazmin 2 weeks ago

The song was performed for the first time in 1900, not long after it was written. The NAACP dubbed "Lift Every Voice and Sing" as the Black national anthem in 1919, more than a decade before "The Star Spangled Banner" was named the national anthem

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

List a single lyric in the song that mentions race

by Available-Aide-3449 2 weeks ago

The title.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

The title is "Lift Every Voice and Sing", don't see how that's racial

by Available-Aide-3449 2 weeks ago

Why did you lie like that unprompted

by Strong_Aside9439 2 weeks ago

Lift Every Voice And Sing Where race?

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I refuse to listen to it. Go away

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I refuse to listen to the national anthem. Get all propaganda out of sports

by DowntownRegister 2 weeks ago

And yet you still speak on it, explains a lot

by Available-Aide-3449 2 weeks ago

only for black people Good for them

by Unakuhn 2 weeks ago

I'm black and I have to admit, I must have missed the memo on Lift Every Voice becoming our separate national anthem.

by Smart_Cartoonist 2 weeks ago

I'm tired of people forgetting to fill me in on these things. I never find out about it until drama starts.😭

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

It was written by the NAACP leader in 1900 and promoted by the NAACP as the Black national anthem since 1917.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

It's because they are a divisive organization and not an advancement organization.

by MaleficentPositive76 2 weeks ago

I'm curious where you grew up. I'm black and they always sung it at graduations and important events. I'm honestly surprised this Super Bowl is the first time ppl have heard of it. Some of us really are living in different Americas, I guess

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I grew up in Queens NY and we sung it at church and events. No one called it a black national anthem ever. Not church, not school. Is there some other meaning behind joyful joyful too?

by Smart_Cartoonist 2 weeks ago

Is where we join to ask what is going on? I'm lost lmao

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I don't even watch the game but that just sounds so dumb. Why would we want a national anthem for just a race?

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Waltzing Matilda isn't the Australian national anthem?!

by Marta11 2 weeks ago

Not officially!

by Wild_Advice_1214 2 weeks ago

Did they even call it by that nickname at the Superbowl? Or is it just another manufactured controversy the right-wing media made up to sow division in an election year?

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

which is something they do every year What did they do in previous years?

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

America the Beautiful, which I think they still played this year and last year too.

by kemmerashly 2 weeks ago

Sing another song than the national anthem. They have a halftime show with music like every time.

by Wild_Advice_1214 2 weeks ago

Why would we want a national anthem for just a race? You do know it's not an official thing right? Maybe if you are an 80 year old black person there's a pretty good chance that the Star Spangled Banner makes you want to puke. And on the flip side, there's a song your people loved so much that it became your unofficial national anthem. And not like last year. For generations. What's the problem with that?

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Much agreed. I'm Asian, and I see it as against all common sense that there is a so-called black national anthem. We have one national anthem. Pandering to specific minority groups doesn't help anything, and it sure as heck doesn't bring people together. Where is our Asian American national anthem? Or the Mexican-American National Anthem for my wife?

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

My 13-year-old son heard that song the other day for the first time. He said it's an ass song. He was completely correct.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Come on bro you know this. The Mexican American National anthem is "Living la Vida Loca"

by Public-Interview 2 weeks ago

When did it replace "La Bamba"?

by mantekristian 2 weeks ago

Ricky Martin is Puerto Rican

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Asians and Hispanics haven't experienced enough repression in the U.S. to get their own song. Wait your turn! /s

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

those millionaires are the only color that matters in this world. Green.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Sure, then those millionaires should play and not black people. It seems like anytime black people are mentioned people Hitler particles instantly activates.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

wait.. they are only 13% of the population.. Need to get reverend Sharpton in there and fix this immediately.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

We stand for the national anthem This always kills me, when all the kneeling stuff was in full effect, my Uncle used to rail about it all the time, so every time we'd be together and watch a NFL game together, and they'd do the anthem, I'd ask why he was sitting for it, apparently it only counts if you hear it in person.

by vhuel 2 weeks ago

Divide and conquer….. what do you expect??

by Alone_Carpenter 2 weeks ago

He's also imposing a name that was coopted by people who want to "other" the song rather than embrace its message.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Did you hear them say that one time during the Super Bowl? Or did the call it something else? Like the title of the song!

by elouise59 2 weeks ago

Yeah, it seems pretty ironic to me. Undermining what people have been fighting for for 60 years and separating black people seems very counterproductive.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

This opinion is not that unpopular.

by Creepy_Ad 2 weeks ago

Blame Roger Gooddell. This was his idea for appeasement after the George Floyd riots. The players union was like 'Um... whatever'. Nobody wants to be the one to remove it now, so there it is.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Oh no, they sang a song at the super bowl... ? Look I get it, some people are threatened anytime something involves black people, like two guys at my work who get their panties all scrunched up over this. But they're stupid babies so they don't matter.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

When did we start pretending Lift Every Voice, a song taught to literally everyone over a certain age in elementary school music class, is the "black national anthem?" I grew up in a mostly black neighborhood and I've never heard of this until, what, a year ago.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I had never heard about it referred that way either until my friend's racist cop husband came over to watch the Superbowl yesterday and scowled at it.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I've always wondered what it's like living under a rock

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

a song taught to literally everyone over a certain age in elementary school music class, You got a source for that? Because I had never heard of it until the last year or two when everyone started talking about it as the black national anthem.

by Deep-Telephone-7250 2 weeks ago

They don't teach a lot of things about black people in school. Your lack of education doesn't change the reality of the world

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Brown person checking in, agreed.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

It still is though, check the rules. You fit in just nice

by Unakuhn 2 weeks ago

Too late, already checked the rules, place doesn't apply to me. It applies to those pretending to be something they're not.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Divisive*

by Theajacobs 2 weeks ago

🤷‍♂️

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

If it's so important, why do they only play it at the Super Bowl? Why not play it before every NFL game? Oh, right, because it's just performative.

by Michel82 2 weeks ago

It was no problem until maga chuds got all snowflake about it.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I find your spelling divisive

by pierce91 2 weeks ago

If you are a Black person who is a US citizen you are on team America and the Star Spangled Banner is your anthem. People identifing with their race/culture/ethnicity first and not with their nationality, is how countries fall apart. United we stand, divided we fall.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

That issue could be solved by not performing either. It's a football game, not a preparation for war. There's no need to push this patriotism onto people anymore at this day and age when we are there for entertainment

by Prestigious-Zone 2 weeks ago

There was a time when we could set aside our differences and unite under the fact that, no matter how much we disagreed on, we at least all shared our nation. The symbols of the nation represent each of us. If you don't like it, you can work to make it better. The anthem and the flag are unique to us. If we can't AT LEAST have that in common, then nothing else will unite us. And we are a divided nation beyond repair.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

It's a national game that brings the country together, why wouldn't you sing the national anthem? It isn't reserved for war, it's a celebration of the nation

by Altruistic-You 2 weeks ago

It's unnecessary to inject patriotism into a domestic sporting event

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Why? The sporting event is on a national level. It's about bringing the country together. Why would you think celebrating the country you live in is only necessary when you're "versus" another country?

by Altruistic-You 2 weeks ago

It's a sports match, not about bringing the country together. Not everything has to have America injected into it

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

It's an American sport with all American teams and heavily American ads. I don't think "injecting America into it" is applicable here. It's like saying you added water to water

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

It's patriotism for patriotism's sake. I love America but I don't need ostentatious displays of it. This is a hill I'm willing to die on but I understand if people expect more displays of patriotism during sporting events because it's all many people have known.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

A sports match played by who? Who can compete in this sports match? It's not about "injecting America". I'd say the same for any sporting competition played at the national level in any nation

by Altruistic-You 2 weeks ago

Anyone can play football from across the globe. It's not limited to Americans. I think the only sporting events where national anthems should be played are where countries face off against each other, like at the Olympics. Not many other countries have their national anthem played for domestic league matches. I think it's an unnecessary tradition.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

As a foreigner, I enjoyed the national anthems at American sporting events. In finals of local sport competitions we also sing the anthem. It unites. Which is the issue - y'all want to divide.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

In Scandinavia and Europe we are being prepped for another world war, patriotism is seen as needed again maybe? I think America usually get the world war update a few years behind us Europeans test it in early access?

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Really? You are? I've seen a few things, but can you tell me what's going on with that?

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Failure to adequately patriotize a culture will ensure it's demise, Comrade. The death of America or Ukraine or Palestin or Fernando Poo are existentially real possibilities. Borders and treaties are whispers across historical context.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I asked my Mexican in-laws where their anthem was.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I think it is divisive to people who are offended by the consideration that the meaning of all patriotic american symbolism is not sacred and has to be monitored for disrespect Its not meant to be divisive at all. In the spirit of our american pastime, give these fellow americans the benefit of the doubt and join in and try to understand where it comes from and what it means rather than what makes you feel left out about it.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Did they play this last night? Nationally televised? If so, I missed it. Seems like a dumb idea tbh.

by Baumbachgabe 2 weeks ago

Bringing back segregation in the name of "quality".. lol. So dumb

by sherwooddickins 2 weeks ago

What are you talking about?

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Ah yes, lift every voice and sing - so devisive [sic]

by Known-Double8953 2 weeks ago

Every life matters

by RelationRecent 2 weeks ago

lol I want op to list the lyrics and give a play by play on how each line is divisive. lol

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

The fact that it's a separate one to the regular anthem.

by osborne92 2 weeks ago

"regular"

by Known-Double8953 2 weeks ago

The Regular National Anthem 🇺🇸

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Actually, the parts that are supposed to be offensive we don't sing.

by Creepy_Ad 2 weeks ago

The fact that it exists to contrast itself from the actual national anthem is the divisive aspect…

by BarracudaWeary2062 2 weeks ago

Lol

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Having anything separate is by definition divisive?

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

OP isn't saying that the song is itself lyrically divisive. He's saying the existence of a separate ‘black' national anthem is by its nature is divisive. I completely agree. I'm from the UK so I don't really have a dog in the fight, but I hate our national anthem. I hate the monarchy and I'm from a city that boos it whenever it's played at sporting events (Liverpool). I somewhat understand why African Americans would not feel represented by the US national anthem, but having a second one is only going to cause more issues for your already extremely divided country. The whole concept of national identity itself is divisive anyway, and is going to become more and more redundant as time goes on and the world becomes more and more connected. Do what we do in Liverpool; forget about jingoistic nonsense and boo the US anthem.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Exactly.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I suppose it's ableist against the mute community. But I don't hear them complaining about it.

by Known-Double8953 2 weeks ago

If you're looking around, looking for the feedback of the mob, waiting to see if it's ok to laugh at this joke. Yes. It is.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

So we should have another national anthem for another group? You know that's why the civil war was fought right? The one where 600k+ mostly non-black people died to make sure the US was "for all of us"?

by Patient-Tea219 2 weeks ago

Wow 600k vs millions and 400 years of slavery. How stunning and brave

by DowntownRegister 2 weeks ago

So we should change the national anthem because the current one sucks nuts

by Agile-Comedian3446 2 weeks ago

This Land is Your Land by Woody Guthrie.

by Agile-Comedian3446 2 weeks ago

A truly American song by a truly American patriot.

by Agile-Comedian3446 2 weeks ago

Perfect

by Cold-Analysis 2 weeks ago

There is a better option already with America the Beautiful.

by ebonypfeffer 2 weeks ago

Well, technically, the current one wasn't written with the intention of being one, and most countries had theirs written specifically for that, so it would.make sense to write one, but the US likes to segregate themselves from the rest of the world so keeping the current one is more culturally accurate.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

That's why we don't sing the whole song because people do know that part of the song is insensitive to some people.

by Creepy_Ad 2 weeks ago

I agree. If anything race relations have gone back 50 years. In the "spirit of inclusion" everything has become more segregated. I believe it's by design.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Because bigots are whiny morons, yes.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Slot.know what else is decisive? The burning of Black Wall Street and the destruction of black neighborhoods. Yet those things still happened. What a tone deaf take.

by Old_Log 2 weeks ago

Did they also play the "regular," one, just curious?

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

It's oK, just don't call it the "black national anthem".

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I can imagine the announcers. "Wow what a great rendition of the national anthem, now please remain silent for the ….ummm…. Other national anthem."

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

It was written by the NAACP leader in 1900 and promoted by the NAACP as the Black national anthem since 1917. It's okay to call it what it is meant to be.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Settle down Matt Gaetz.

by EasyFriend9216 2 weeks ago

"Segregation is good" "Separate but equal" Yeah ok buddy

by turcottedarrell 2 weeks ago

I'm not American?

by ZookeepergameThat 2 weeks ago

It isn't needed. Hockey doing a white one would be seen as very racist.

by Alternative_Pie_783 2 weeks ago

Sounds about white

by Kristopher03 2 weeks ago

Don't think this is unpopular with most rational thinking people, singing (or any form of performance) about how you're different while wanting to be treated the same as everyone is just a super level of dumb

by Electronic_Heat 2 weeks ago

God forbid, one thing not be about white people. JFC

by Optimal_Craft 2 weeks ago

Right

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Anything they can do to keep us divided and arguing

by Consistent-Elk5490 2 weeks ago

Not any more than the first national anthem (im sure your aware of how anything from hundreds of years ago might be seen differently from a black perspective) as soon as the second song plays i feel so divided 😢

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

They really shouldn't allow seniors online unsupervised in those nursing homes.

by Jayden24 2 weeks ago

The Star Spangled Banner is worse. Look up the full lyrics.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Let's just go to a no anthem policy for sporting events.

by nestor04 2 weeks ago

Black Americans were once considered property. When our country did start recognizing that they're people too they only counted as 3/5 of a person. They literally had to fight just to be considered people! Instead of focusing on one group having their own anthem, maybe you should focus on how fortunate your people were compared to others...

by Angela17 2 weeks ago

The regular old national anthem is also devisive. It injects a divide on basis of nationality. We're all God's children, but patriotism creates unnecessary conflict between nations.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Then what national anthem would you accept?

by Kendranitzsche 2 weeks ago

It's not a black national anthem.. we African Americans have no nation of our own.

by Full-Calligrapher695 2 weeks ago

You African-what?

by Then_Host4605 2 weeks ago

As the old saying goes you can always go back. Didn't think so

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

They got brought to America on slave ships, I suggest you get over it or pay reparations

by Terrible_Employee130 2 weeks ago

Black people's existence is divisive to you people. Everyone is acting like the black national anthem just came out of a vacuum. As if black people just decided they should have a different one for no reason at all. Please take 5 minutes to think about why there might be a separate song they decided to call "the black national anthem" and please actually think about it. As a hint, it's not because we just really like the song. Like seriously, 250 years of slavery, 100 years of legalized segregation, it's only been 60 years since, but you wonder why black people might have some separate cultural norms?

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

lol, or maybe it's because an election is coming up and they need something to point to and say republicns are racist and 'we're on your side' until it's over and we never hear about this crap again.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Still divisive tho.

by Ok_Cantaloupe 2 weeks ago

What do you mean "you people?"

by fermin29 2 weeks ago

The OP isn't asking for a white national anthem

by Kendranitzsche 2 weeks ago

He's imposing a title that was co-opted by people who want to "other" the song rather than embrace its message…because it celebrates something that OP can't relate to…when in fact, you can relate to and celebrate anything positive. There's no ownership except in your mind.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

It's not that at all. It's just pretty unfair that I'm not allowed to be a happy proud white American because everywhere I go someone like you is trying to shame me for something I had nothing to do with a long time ago. I'm really sick of hearing that what I say doesn't matter because I'm white, I can't watch that because I'm white, I can't listen to that because I'm white, I can't eat that because I'm white. Isn't that racism? Telling me I can't do something because of my color? Where's the line?

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Fr

by Agreenholt 2 weeks ago

I'm against any "national anthem" being played. It's weird and cultish.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Outta curiosity OP, are you aware of ALL of the national anthem's lyrics? Also, fb is not bringing us together, sorry.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

I'm sorry I'm cracking up at the last line "the national anthem is for all of us" 🤣😂🤦🏽‍♀️ Yea, ok

by Great_Violinist2222 2 weeks ago

Using the same argument you could say sports teams are offensive as they don't represent diversity and inclusiveness.

by BusySquare7480 2 weeks ago

it's only divisive with idiots that hate freedom

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

Don't sweat it. A country star will cover it here any day now then your soul and the soul of this nation can be healed.

by Maxine29 2 weeks ago

What's divisive is your take on the black national anthem. Black people have been enslaved, discriminated against, and forced to live in a separate culture full of poverty and outlandish incarceration rates. And you are upset about a song.

by Anonymous 2 weeks ago

What's "uniquely American" about sports finals? You know other countries have sports teams that go through brackets leading up to one big final "we win the sport this year" game, right? Like, football is even adapted from other preexisting sports. Most of the foods eaten at sports games are adaptations of foreign cuisine. This country isn't that special, bro.

by pcremin 2 weeks ago

One day, I really feel like society will figure out that true integration isn't possible until we create a single unified culture that we can all agree on. We have to see everybody as our people, not just our diaspora.

by javon33 2 weeks ago

lol unified culture, how gross and boring.

by Jayden24 2 weeks ago

National anthem? Isn't this a Black racial anthem if anything? What nation recognizes this as a national anthem?

by Main_Acanthisitta708 2 weeks ago

The only Black National Anthem I know of is The Dipset Anthem.

by Quigleymaybell 2 weeks ago