+12 It's actually much easier to get into college than trade schools, amirite?

by conroylowell 1 month ago

My son wants to finish highschool and get a first year apprenticeship. He has been working towards that goal for 2 years and some people don't get that one can't just walk into a trade job.

by Brendansmitham 1 month ago

You can walk into any trade job, but walking into a union is something totally different. All the higher ups constantly moan about how we don't have enough members but also slam the door in most applicant's faces

by Intelligent_Fan2017 1 month ago

it's because it's incredibly difficult to get rid of someone once they're union, and unless someone has provable years of experience or very good references it's a huge risk to let someone just join with neither

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Every union I've been a part of if you don't produce the company can fire them, then they get sent back to the union and dispatched to a different company, if they don't produce there rinse and repeat. I wish I could find one of those unions that lets you hang out and do nothing everyone complains about lol

by hollie49 1 month ago

You weren't part of an actual union with teeth. I had a teamster shoot heroin on my office chair and trash the entire place and he still had a job after rehab

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Liar

by Anonymous 1 month ago

lol I'm not. He had to go to a rehab program and was able to keep his job. He od'd in our trailer.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Haha whatever you say, embarrassing liar.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Yeah where tf are those? I hear about them all the time and damn it, I'm starting to think it's just anti-union propaganda.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

I made the mistake of getting a guy on my crew who bounced around, we were apprentices together and eventually I heard he was out of work so I called him up, and boy did it become clear why he was always out of work somehow, I had to lay him off in less than a month cause he just straight up didn't work lol

by Intelligent_Fan2017 1 month ago

Which is comical, because some of the laziest SOBs I've ever seen were kicked back union guys who did the bare minimum.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Like seriously

by conroylowell 1 month ago

You can, where there's work.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Yes you can. It's about who you know not what you know.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

I just think it's odd when people just assume everyone who isn't "book smart" can just go into trades lol. They're probably gonna suck there too most likely

by Anonymous 1 month ago

It's mostly people who dropped out and think everyone can become successful without doing anything

by Anonymous 1 month ago

My friend didn't drop out, but he expects to do little to no work and get 80k+ a year. Dude straight up doesn't want to even use Google to help himself. He will use it for memes and movies, but nah idk how to use it when I have a question on how to do stuff

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Idk how these people don't understand how hard it actually is to become something in this world

by aschneider 1 month ago

I make above 80k, and funny enough, Googling is about 75% of my job.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

If only all my needs and wants were met, then i could show you my true potential!!

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Do trade schools still mean the same thing? You work your ass off in a trade. If you don't want to work you go to college, if you like working with your hands you go into a trade. That how I've always seen it. It's the difference between a desk job and working in the field. Even then there's always crossover.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Who says sitting on your ass in an office chair for 8 hours a day doesn't break your back...

by Melodic_Lifeguard 1 month ago

Why does everyone try to make it a contest?

by Anonymous 1 month ago

That's not exactly true. Many of my classmates weren't "book smart" but were great electricians in the field. I was one of those who had the book smarts, but I struggled a lot more in the field than some of my peers. Some people just learn better hands on rather than from a textbook. There's only so much you can learn from a textbook when it's comes to a skilled trade, nothing replaces actual field experience. In my time in the construction field I've met a variety of folks from people like myself who had undergraduate college degrees, to graduate level degree holders, to low life's, and ex cons.

by xhagenes 1 month ago

I didn't know every electrician lived in America

by Alarmed_Walrus7732 1 month ago

The majority of people on this American website are American. I didn't know you didn't know that

by Anonymous 1 month ago

found the office drone

by Alarmed_Walrus7732 1 month ago

lol I've worked construction, worked warehouse, did managing, went to college, worked in an office, went to law school, and now work from home. Your false sense of superiority doesn't offend me

by Anonymous 1 month ago

projection, lol

by Alarmed_Walrus7732 1 month ago

Wah wah

by Anonymous 1 month ago

You'd argue that because that's what you are and you want it to be true. That doesn't make it true.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

I don't know about you, but I fully trust the guy who couldn't figure out basic algebra and reads at a 5th grade level to work on my stuff

by PsychologicalCity165 1 month ago

I don't get it either.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Because people think trades are just grunt work or whatever

by Connellyflorida 1 month ago

This. The average person seems to think the trades are for people who couldn't make it in college and can only work physical jobs. They couldn't be more wrong.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Where I am you need to take so much schooling during a trade apprenticeship to get your journeyman's. So theirs still theory (math, science, etc) type classes. If you didn't try in high school or are an idiot you aren't gonna do well in those classes. Might do well at the practical stuff but you still need to know the math and science, etc behind it.

by Sydney62 1 month ago

Even public trade schools can be hard to get into. For some programs they can only take a limited number of students because that program requires lots of equipment and space. For example, lets say a public tech school diesel mechanics program has just 15 slots per year. That can fill up quickly.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

You don't have to be union to work trades. Plenty of private shops out there.

by Training_Concert 1 month ago

If you are non-union you either need to hardcore specialize (which often leads to a union anyway) or learn several trades and start a business. Otherwise you're screwed long term.

by Ondrickalenna 1 month ago

Yea but that's how you meet people in the business and find that "union friend"

by Anonymous 1 month ago

I'm not sure how it is thru America but I know in my union, they will sign on non-union guys with experience and give them a journeymen card.

by bulah30 1 month ago

When I say trade schools, I'm talking about apprenticeships and unions So, not trade schools? You might as well say that it's easier to get into trade school than college (but of course by "college" I mean career fields and tenured positions).

by Silly-Tap-6656 1 month ago

Maybe if you went to college you wouldn't put spaces before each period

by Dazzling-Version-639 1 month ago

I agree with you I was being a hater for no reason and hoping someone found it funny and they did LOL

by Dazzling-Version-639 1 month ago

Did OP find it funny?

by Zealousideal_Sea4174 1 month ago

Don't know? And don't care?? Lol

by Dazzling-Version-639 1 month ago

Maybe if you hadn't gone to college, you wouldn't openly call yourself a misandrist

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Where do they do that

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Oop lmao

by Anonymous 1 month ago

They're right… I am

by Dazzling-Version-639 1 month ago

I was a misandrist before college 😊 it's a lifestyle choice

by Dazzling-Version-639 1 month ago

Atleast I don't hate an entire demographic?

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Not admittedly

by Dazzling-Version-639 1 month ago

Who do you think I hate?

by Anonymous 1 month ago

I don't hate my parents, sure some teachers are bad but I don't straight up despise them. There are only about two or so assholes in my class, and I don't talk to them very often(I don't like talking to them when I do though obv), so I'm pretty good.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Trades are very difficult! In my province (Canada), to be an electrician you have to go to school, then do a five year apprenticeship (9,000 hours) and then write an exam. Even after that you're not guaranteed to find a union immediately.

by Ashlynndonnelly 1 month ago

Pretty sure this is how it is across the bored in Canada as a journeyman's lets you work anywhere in the country. Lots of math in the theory aspect of the schooling. Pros and cons I guess to trades being pretty regulated up here in Canada.

by Sydney62 1 month ago

People think trades are just mindless grunt work but have no idea how much planning, skill and problem solving goes into trades. What province are you in? In BC it's only 4 years/ 6000 hours to be an electrician. Did the harmonized system not make it basically the same throughout Canada? Genuinely curious, I got my ticket way before harmonized was a thing so idk.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Start working as labor, get some experience under a tradesman, show up sober and work hard, and you have a good chance of progressing. Whether factory work or craftsmanship, this is the only way I've seen outside of nepotism

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Electrician who became an Electrical Engineer...no, its dependent on what you are trying to learn.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Find me any electrician apprenticeship in NY

by conroylowell 1 month ago

Lots of people want to be an electrician and there is limited demand for the job.

by sgrimes 1 month ago

Id anything nepotism works hard in this space

by Anonymous 1 month ago

I'm in NY and same. It's a very closed off space.

by Worth-Matter-5464 1 month ago

Nah, trade schools will take anyone who pays them. They may be harder to finish than academic colleges though.

by Jonathon79 1 month ago

Trade schools also have extensive entrance math tests. I wouldn't doubt many college adults couldn't pass them.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Yep. My undergrad has an acceptance rate of 94 percent. However...1 out of 3 freshmen don't come back for their sophomore year. I've always believed that a school shouldn't be judged based on the person that goes in. t should be judged based on the person that comes out.

by miracle26 1 month ago

Good job my friend

by conroylowell 1 month ago

Another thing to realize is that people who take a few years off before going back often have WAY more success in college. You have perspective of why you are going back, what you're looking to get out of it, and likely the ability to "grow up" and do the hard work needed to succeed. A 3.0 high school GPA means that you likely did well enough that you aren't coming in with any learning gaps. So from a college's point of view, you're a pretty safe bet compared to a 3.0 student out of high school who hasn't taken any tests and is applying "cause I was told to".

by kuphalalexandro 1 month ago

Universities don't really lose anything if a student drops out. The semester's tuition, room, and board were already pre-paid. Community colleges basically accept everyone who has at least a G.E.D. Many community colleges have agreements with public universities that allow students to transfer their coursework after 2 years.

by PsychologicalCity165 1 month ago

It is not hard to get into trade school at all. A lot of trade schools like UTI or LT will accept anyone who can pay them the money. What you're talking about is apprenticeship, which I don't think is the same thing as trade school

by Anonymous 1 month ago

I'll say this as someone with over 20 years experience, a BFA and a MS. I am part of a union and make a good living. But I had a hard getting in, even with transferring from another union. My union has about 1700 active members and approx 7500 people on the waiting list.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

You see !

by conroylowell 1 month ago

It's also who you know. I know too many inexperienced people who wormed in because their sisters brother-in-laws cousins neighbor from down the street was owed a favor from someone. But I also never interviewed, all my work is weird of mouth.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Do you like ketchup?

by Jazzlike-Focus 1 month ago

I prefer cat soup

by Anonymous 1 month ago

I had no idea that was the case for trade schools.

by No_Wear38 1 month ago

Yeah I'm not sure about that

by Anonymous 1 month ago

And neither pays well.

by DressFirm8025 1 month ago

The reason why apprenticeships can be hard to get into, is they tend to be pretty competitive. Slots for classes are based on needs of contractors and expected work outlook. It makes zero sense to take on a ton of apprentices if there's not a lot of work to go around. My apprenticeship class started with about 45 people. I was told for each one of picked, there was 20 or 30 others that didn't make the selection. Out of the 45 of us, 13 finished and became journeyman wiremen. Colleges don't take on students based on projected work outlook or anything so they can just accept students based on grades and SAT/ACT scores. My apprenticeship wasn't a walk in the park. There's long days, then school, then homework and studying for exams, then working at various job sites from a stroll down the road to over an hour and half one way. I had many sleep deprived days, but in the end it all worked out and I have no regrets.

by xhagenes 1 month ago

Your first sentence is the equivalent to water is wet. Like… duh

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Yeah and then you didn't apparently read anything after that where I go into detail why they are competitive. What else ya got for me wonder boy?

by xhagenes 1 month ago

Stick to teaching squirrels.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

You first sentence makes no sense. Cause there is also trade school. There is also trade school that you can also get an associate and bachelor degree.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Most people want apprenticeships not paying out of pocket

by conroylowell 1 month ago

Good timing is a big part of getting into the trades. In 2009, it was a horrible time. But then about 2013-ish, things started to heat up. I remember in 2015 hearing ads on the radio for crane operators because they were so short on dudes to pull levers. Now it sucks again.

by bulah30 1 month ago

Seriously. So many trash-tier schools who take people with 1000 SAT scores

by Anonymous 1 month ago

the community colleges here feature trade programs or are outright trade schools

by SomewhereDry2350 1 month ago

Ya I mean most places will take like 20-30 people per year while like 3-400 are applying and interviewing. It's actually extremely hard usually.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Depends on which college and whether you're able to pay. 4-year college prices have gotten stupid. So has our populace.

by gonzalogottlieb 1 month ago

Different universities & colleges have different admissions standards. Sure if it's an open admissions school they'll take anybody, but not everybody can get into Harvard.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

I would never consider a union program or an apprenticeship as a school at all. Tech schools cost you money for an education, and a good education is not free.

by Successful-Chart2265 1 month ago

So you mean an apprenticeship or union , which you need to go to school before attending .

by Beginning_Card 1 month ago

My trade school training was done at a community college (automotive technician). I never did an apprenticeship, I got my 2 year degree, took ASE tests after 2 years work experience and was a journeyman technician after 5 years. Not all trades need or require an apprenticeship

by Sofia54 1 month ago

Ay can ya get my son a book at the hall?

by Anonymous 1 month ago

lol yea because apprenticeships and unions are majority dominated by referrals. Everyone else is fighting for the limited spots, and they are artificially limited to prevent too many people working to lower wages. Sure, getting into college is easier, depending on the college.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Ain't hard to get into unions at all. Unless you're in not great shape.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

Yup people love to bring up trade school like it's such an easy alternative to college that guaranteed you a lot long high income job. But the reality is it's very difficult to get into trades currently as not everywhere is willing to give out apprenticeships and many places want you to be working for a while before you can even get one. Getting into a union is even more difficult and where I live it's basically all luck unless you know someone.

by rozelladibbert 1 month ago

Which college?

by Gia55 1 month ago

I have a friend who spent 10 years trying to get into the union for his line of work. I also know someone who got in with less than 1 year experience for the same union. They have different fathers.

by Anonymous 1 month ago

College entry is massively different depending on the college.

by TypicalCress2369 1 month ago

I didnt even know trade schools existed until after I finished college. πŸ˜‚

by Anonymous 1 month ago

PREACH! πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘ Trade schools have a different kind of gatekeeper. They're vigilant too.

by Pleasant_Side 1 month ago

It's not about what you know, it's about who you know. You want to get into the union associate with union workers. Trades are initially hard to get into but you meet a lot of people who know people who know people. If you're likable you can go anywhere, I've moved jobs many times and in the last two years increased my wage from 30k to over 100k just by moving jobs so often. "oh you know someone who works here and here? Is it any decent? What are the worst parts about the company, hell yeah thanks for the number I'll give them a call"

by Former_Internal 1 month ago

I work at a trade school and for us it depends on your trade. Pretty much anything but electrician and you're going to get started ppretty fast. For that it's years, for the others it ranges from a few months to us actively trying to find more people (sheet metal).

by sgrimes 1 month ago

You need to be smart for trade school

by Joyceferry 1 month ago

Not really. If you are dedicated and ready to bust butt, you can get in to a trade union. The hard part of college is not dropping out after the first year.

by Anonymous 1 month ago