-38 WWE Wrestling is the most bizarre thing someone can be into, amirite?

by Christelle26 3 weeks ago

Turns out, gravity ain't fake.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

cries in flat earth

by Cute_Avocado_9832 3 weeks ago

Especially when you weigh 260 lbs!

by No-Pound-1050 3 weeks ago

Turns out gravity is fake ask the insane clown posse or Terrence Howard

by Full-Palpitation2327 3 weeks ago

People also tend to forget that while us wrestling fans know it's predetermined, we still don't know who's going to win or lose. We may have a good guess but we truly don't know 100% till the finish.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

But it's the fun trying to figure it out.

by elisa86 3 weeks ago

Wrestling is soap opera for dudes.

by Viviane98 3 weeks ago

Tbh I am more impressed with the guy who can deliver fake completely safe elbow drop, than the guy who can do it for real All these wrestling moves are pretty dangerous, you know

by pcorkery 3 weeks ago

It's more a soap opera with a bunch of charismatic (usually) stunt actors. You get a favorite and want the writers to give them attention and success. Its no different than wanting your favorite character in a show to get wins and focus. Just these are real people who put blood and sweat into their work. When the character wins a real person gets to feel the success.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Yeah. I'm just wanted to underline how impressive the physical part of the performance is. For me all these stunts are much more impressive than running with the ball really fast. I don't even care about the story :)

by pcorkery 3 weeks ago

Have you seen Ricochet's 630 splash?

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Still mad about razor ramone never holding the title.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

the real "magic" for me is the wrestlers who manage to still get the crowd on their feet screaming, without even needing to do any big flashy moves in the first place. Hulk Hogan is a classic historical example, he'd spend most of the match getting beat up, all while using his body language and facial expressions to "sell" how much it hurt. He'd maybe start to come back a little and get some momentum, only to be outmaneuvered again (or via the opponent cheating) but then at one point he'd "Hulk Up", go on the offense, hit his famous sequence of moves, and then win. The audience was in absolute fervor just from him taking a punch on the chin, moving forward, taking another punch, shaking it off, then pointing at the other guy.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

It's a soap opera with fighting. What's better than that? I don't watch it anymore because they've ruined it this century but the premise is no different from any other action television.

by Wuckertleonie 3 weeks ago

Not a wrestling fan (certainly not a hater either) but it's even better than a soap opera with fighting because it's live in front of an audience!

by Monahanashly 3 weeks ago

They've been killing it since HHH took over! If recommend starting to watch again! Great storylines and great in ring wrestling

by Jovanswaniawski 3 weeks ago

I did watch the latest WrestleMania and that was cool. A real throwback. HHH used to be my guy even when he was a heel so I'll check it out when I get a chance. πŸ‘πŸΎ

by Wuckertleonie 3 weeks ago

As someone who really misses seeing Ring of Honor on broadcast every week, I think Women of Wrestling is a very-worthy replacement. They've got a lot of hard workers and a very-solid show.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Kane mask days were good haha

by Dickensdarrick 3 weeks ago

It's a live action movie. It's amazing

by Beneficial-Bee-1894 3 weeks ago

One of my friends is a big WWE fan but he admitted to me that it's essentially a soap opera for men lmao

by bstiedemann 3 weeks ago

Soap opera's where we can have a mob boss kill off another wrestler because the group he was in wanted him dead. Then to fight with said group because he didn't get paid. All this while the crowd loves it

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Or Stone Cold beating Vince McMahon in the hospital πŸ˜‚

by juvenal93 3 weeks ago

And the mob boss and his group are the good guys

by Low_Swing 3 weeks ago

Live soap opera with stunt actors. What's not to love?

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Plenty of women are fans

by idell89 3 weeks ago

ITT: not one "big mad" person OP: LoL yAlL bIg mAd

by Appropriate-Sea-949 3 weeks ago

I can guarantee you that no wrestling fan over the age of 6 thinks it's "real". We all know it's not. It's an acrobatic soap opera. With the potential to tell some extremely compelling long term stories in real time with some impressive physical athleticism thrown in there too. It's personally why I prefer WWE to UFC.

by Any-Ad-8524 3 weeks ago

Its the same thing as someone asking me how I can enjoy the avengers when I know Chris Evan isn't really a super soldier fighting aliens, which coincidentally no one ever does πŸ€”

by Low_Swing 3 weeks ago

Really? WWE is the single most bizarre thing people can be into? That's just objectively absurd.

by InstructionOk4393 3 weeks ago

It's about the pageantry. Have you ever seen a ballet? The plot of a ballet is predetermined, all the dance moves are predetermined. That doesn't matter it's about the spectacle. Pro wrestling has different music and different type of choreography but it's no different from a ballet.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Honestly the outfits aren't even that different.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Ru Paul's Drag Wrestling, when?

by CaseOutrageous6776 3 weeks ago

Actually already happened in one of the earlier seasons. Effy was their coach hahaha

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

DBZ is fake?!? 😭

by Wuckertleonie 3 weeks ago

I'm sorry πŸ˜”

by CoolCookie2286 3 weeks ago

It's just that I've been powering up for so long now. I'm almost 50 years old and all my attempts at spirit bombs have just been farts. It all makes sense now.

by Wuckertleonie 3 weeks ago

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

No it's real, this guy is just a hater

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Phew...back to it. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!?

by Wuckertleonie 3 weeks ago

Dude, SPOILERS.

by Independent_Luck 3 weeks ago

Explain this then.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

yeah that's BS, ain't no way everyone's letting Goku win. those hits are real

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

It's over 9000

by Medical-Escape 3 weeks ago

Also, it might be "fake", but those are actual 300 pound men doing actual flips and somersaults and other acrobatics. Even if you don't buy into the storylines, the physicality alone is plenty entertaining.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

For real. I had a former coworker that also wrestled in the next county over. I took my son to a few of those shows. Seeing the stuff on TV isn't the same as in person. Watching a grown man do a moonsault 10 feet away from you really is something amazing to behold. It's graceful and athletic.

by MediocreAd452 3 weeks ago

It really is like its own category of gymnastic/acrobatics, imo. Even some of the more "basic" bumps, like taking a clothesline for example, take a lot of agility to pull off and sell.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

"it's still real to me damnit!"

by parisianneoma 3 weeks ago

I was just about to put this. Lol

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

I don't watch professional wrestling, but I've known some people who were into it. No one thinks it's "real." It's not supposed to be taken as a sport event. But the physical performance is in fact real, and you have to be talented to pull off those movies as well as create an engaging persona. What's truly bizarre to me is are people who get super into reality television or YouTube celebrities. So much of that is manufactured drama. Far more people think that stuff is real than professional wrestling.

by Zemlakjoseph 3 weeks ago

I don't watch it, but I like to think of it as a full-contact improv melodrama. It's not for me, but I can definitely see the appeal.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Yeah I don't get this take from people. Anytime someone says it's fake I'll ask what their favorite show is. Then I'll tell them yeah, that's fake and scripted too. I dont watch wrestling anymore but it's literally live watching people do their own stunts. So I can respect it.

by elza72 3 weeks ago

It's a little different, because WWE is much more like stage theatre than a television program.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Damn, sounds like AMC have a lot to learn about audience engagement doesn't it

by No-Notice-659 3 weeks ago

Professional wrestling is the highest form of art

by arlo31 3 weeks ago

Sounds like they were really into the story then. Mission accomplished.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

To its detriment, Breaking Bad didn't have a live audience.

by Maleficent-Young 3 weeks ago

If you know all media is scripted, then how is it different? How is it different than people cheering in the theaters for the Avengers Endgame portal scene, or Game of Thrones watch parties where people hoot and holler and gasp at every twist? All fiction requires a suspension of disbelief.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Oof I'm having flashbacks to that time Triple H put on Kane's mask and went to Katie Vick's Funeral

by Leonelhauck 3 weeks ago

Hahaha that segment lives in my head, pays no rent, but fk it, that was peak WWF/E shenanigans! Cant even tell you if its Attitude or Ruthless era lol.

by Nolankarlee 3 weeks ago

That happened in 02, so it's at the end of the attitude era, big not quite ruthless aggression yet

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

I'd rather watch scripted wrestling matches than a football game that removes fun entirely out of the picture

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

When I watch wrestling I'm watching it as if I'm watching a cool choreographed action sequence, and I'm just in pure delight of that. If you look at the people in wrestling crowds a lot of them are like me, just purely entertained by it. Even if the heels are trashing my home town, I'm loving it and smiling ear to ear because they are playing their part so well. But then there are people like you say, where they're into it like they are watching a sports game. And honestly, I think a lot of those people are just "playing the part" of the passionate wrestling fan because that makes it more fun for them.

by gislasonettie 3 weeks ago

It's because since you have villain characters, you can boo and jeer and heckle them, something that would be in very poor taste to do at a legit sporting event. Plus unlike pro sports wrestlers are generally way more likely to speak to you or sign autographs.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

I don't know. People got pretty hyped up about The Mountain vs The Viper in Game of Thrones too.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

You know that fight was fake right? /S

by Substantial_Emu_5075 3 weeks ago

The stunts are real dafuq u talkin bout

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Not nearly as bizarre as people who watch shows like Big Brother, the Bachelor, or Survivor religiously.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

For me wrestling is the chance to suspend disbelief. We know it's scripted but for the time we are watching it we can be kids again and enjoy the match as if it's real. A good match tells a story, or the story can be told over a long time period (even years).

by Edmondhahn 3 weeks ago

A few years ago my nephew and niece started to get into wrestling so we took them to our local Indy shows. For those couple of hours I could just have fun with it and be entertained.

by Edmondhahn 3 weeks ago

So AEW is fine? Got you.

by Fit-Gas 3 weeks ago

So going nuts over professional sports matches that objectively matter just as much as pro wrestling is normal? Lol.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

I used to love wrestling. Definitely fell off the fan wagon. But if you don't take it seriously (It's just entertainment) it's freaking great. And the physicality is still there. Wrestlers are crazy talented.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Fans are aware it's scripted for the most part. Why can ppl get emotional about shows like Breaking Bad but not another form of entertainment?

by Practical-Bluejay637 3 weeks ago

I'm about to be 41 and I still love wrestling. I've had times where my interest has waned but I've recently gotten back into it and even bought tickets for me and my 6 year old to go to Summer Slam when they come to my hometown in a couple months.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Oh look .. this .. again ..

by Hilpertraquel 3 weeks ago

The most bizarre thing is that people STILL pretend like wrestling is trying to be real. It's action theater. It's poorly acted soap operas with body slams. The viewers aren't acting like it's a sport, they're showing emotions because it's a show being put on and the audience is invested in the characters.

by Original_Zone_1079 3 weeks ago

It's also a lot different when you only get 1 take in front of 15k screaming people and you don't get to spend months rehearsing it. John Cena would run circles around Daniel Day Lewis in a promo battle. Different types of acting.

by arlo31 3 weeks ago

So I did some research into the WWE and it's definitely a little more complex than it seems. It's scripted to a degree but the heel( the bad guy) can change the script during the match. Obviously if you're always changing the script then you'll be out of a job but changing it based on how the match is going is encouraged. The other side of it is have to ever watched stuntman competition? Or were you of the age where you remember how big American Gladiators got? It's the same with pro wrestling, the stories are fake but the stunts are real. There's no way to fake jumping 15 feet down onto someone off a ladder.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

They suck you into the story. It's similar to a soap opera. You want to see what happens next.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Wrestling isn't wrestling It's a show about wrestling

by Senior-School 3 weeks ago

Its entertainment. If you have enjoyed any kind of acting then you should be able to understand. Its a product designed to draw people in.

by Ardellabailey 3 weeks ago

Wrestling is a violent soap opera. Sometimes it's compelling, sometimes it's cheesy.

by ldach 3 weeks ago

Wrestling when it's done right is one of the most compelling things you can ever see. Wrestling it's done wrong is one of the most horrendous things you can ever see.

by PerspectiveProper948 3 weeks ago

We know it's predetermined. No fans will argue that. They are actually playing into it, especially during covid. The opinion is like asking how someone can enjoy other works of fiction. How can someone enjoy lord of the rings? It's fake. How can someone enjoy John Wick? It's fake.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

It's just my game😎

by ortizchaim 3 weeks ago

It's live entertainment where audience interaction is encouraged. People cheer and boo in the same way they would for a play or musical. And also, the entrances are cool as hell.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Professional wrestling is more akin to a very physical ballet. The story already has a predetermined ending, there is a lot of running, jumping, catching each other, and it all takes a lot of skill and training to pull it off. So what if it is low-brow entertainment. People enjoy it and have a good time going to the shows.

by Grand-Order-3731 3 weeks ago

You didn't grow up in the Attitude Era did you....

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Have you ever seen a play? It's a play that keeps going

by Nedfriesen 3 weeks ago

It's a greek tragedy lol. Great way of viewing it πŸ‘

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

WWE is the weirdest thing people are into? Oh you sweet summer child.

by lebsackdean 3 weeks ago

WWE wrestling, like TV shows and movies, blends athleticism and storytelling to create a unique entertainment experience. Dismissing it as bizarre because it's scripted misses the point. It's not about pretending it's real; it's about enjoying the drama, characters, and spectacle. Just as people get excited about scripted dramas, WWE fans appreciate the crafted narratives and the emotional investment it offers.

by ShipGlobal7102 3 weeks ago

It's entertainment at the end of the day, and that's all that matters. While the drama and everything is fake, they are incredibly fit people and they sometimes do put their bodies on the line. I'm not into it but it's also really awesome to see that they are able to execute cool looking moves that look painful, fairly safely. You can tell when it's not really painful, but I also think that they could mess up and seriously hurt each other with small mistakes, I feel it takes a lot of coordination and trust to perform all of this, especially live.

by Federicokeebler 3 weeks ago

It's essentially Combat Theatre

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

It wasn't bizarre during the era of NWO, I'll have you know.

by Pfefferduane 3 weeks ago

I can think of several, much weirder things to be into, such as Historical European Martial Arts, which I'm into.

by ZealousidealExam 3 weeks ago

It's a little bit of everything all wrapped up into one neatly wrapped, impressively out together package It's drama. It's comedy. It's athleticism. It's sport. Its violence. It's pantomime. It's dance. It's music. It's lights and production. It's superheroes and villains. It's spoken word. It's love. It's hate. It's politics. It's emotion. When it's done well, there's honestly something for everybody of all ages and backgrounds. Once you can get your head around how ballistic the concept is and you suspend your disbelief and watch it for what it is, it's one of the most incredible art forms in the world

by Keanutowne 3 weeks ago

Acknowledge your tribal chief ☝️

by No-Contribution 3 weeks ago

Wrestling is the absolute perfect thing to throw on when you and your buddies are drinking and no one wants to pay particularly close attention to what's going on. You can chat, snack, joke around, and whenever you tune back in, there's bound to be something ridiculous about to happen that just hypes everyone up. It's like in "Tenet" when the lady says "don't try to understand it. Feel it". Its about turning your brain off and just enjoying what's happening in front of you. It's about being in the moment and nothing else.

by Far-Top 3 weeks ago

Imagine stage actors that are extremely fit and do insanely talented physical acts while performing. Is enjoying plays weird? Is enjoying an action movie weird?

by Particular_Let 3 weeks ago

WWE is the balut of entertainment, it's part athletics and part drama. It's scripted but the stuff they do takes real physical skill. Balut is part egg and part duck. Most people like duck and egg separately but not the hybrid version. You feel about WWE what most people feel about balut.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

wwe is like anyother tv show or movie its all an act people in tv show/mpvies are not saving the world or going to space or whatever same with wwe your there for the entertainment.

by Hungry_Falcon_2049 3 weeks ago

I see wrestling like theatre

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

It's entertainment.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

I don't like WWE at all, but if you don't understand why it's popular you have to be absolutely dense. It's a dramatic performance with fighting, costumes, and characters. What other explanation do you need?

by Samantha46 3 weeks ago

Its just like pointless reality TV. 99% of the issues on those shows are made up. BTW, don't let this man distract you from the fact that in 1998, The Undertaker threw Mankind off Hell In A Cell, and plummeted 16 ft through an announcer's table.

by lamar09 3 weeks ago

I have a friend who is open about watching anime pr0n. I would say that that is more bizarre.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

IF YOU SMELL

by Maurinelockman 3 weeks ago

Me, at a musical: "The competition is scripted! You're all a bunch of rubes for enjoying this! They aren't even real cats, just actors in bodysuits and makeup!

by OkManufacturer3630 3 weeks ago

People straight up watch real housewives or whatever other reality TV is on religiously. WWE is pretty much the same thing. It's entertainment. You cheer for your guy to win, just like you root for any other person or character in a show you are watching. I don't really watch the events, but I've found some pretty cool YouTube documentary things that are really interesting. They go over people's story lines, or why xyz event was so crazy.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

I mean, genuinely, it's exactly the same as the other things you listed. I don't get how people lose their minds over unscripted professional sports matches. I know riots have happened over sports teams winning or losing, but I think sports are boring as hell. Obviously my opinion doesn't matter to those rioters lol

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

While WWE is fake in the sense that the outcome is predetermined, the wrestlers are still doing all sorts of crazy acrobatics and getting hit with chairs and whatnot. That's still very impressive. The absurd characters are also a big part of the fun

by erling04 3 weeks ago

In the end it's literal performative acrobatic theater. You may not like it or get it, and I am personally not into it, but many people are. I think it's more bizarre for people to be obsessed with and watch golf. I'm a massive NFL fan, and golf maybe once a year. However, I find it so weird and borderline pathetic how a significant portion of men make golf their entire personality.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

I've been watching professional wrestling steadily for 50+ years now. Why? Because it's entertaining. Is it fake? Yeah but so are a lot of reality TV shows. Does anyone really believe one is naked and alone in the middle of a jungle in some far off country when there's a camera crew there recording everything happening? I sure hope not. Ppl can believe wrestling is fake and say the wrestlers are just acting and they are for the most part. But many of professional wrestlers have had career ending injuries. Far too many suffer injuries that put them out for months at a time. So while it's scripted like a movie scene one has to remember there are no stunt doubles in professional wrestling. 50+ years and I'll continue watching every week.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

It's no different than any other show or movie. It's entertaining. Unfortunately, things can go wrong and people get real life injured. One guy died in the ring.

by Davisearlene 3 weeks ago

How is wrestling different from any action focused movie? Should Ironman mid movie need to have a laugh filled coffee break with Thanos rather then act like there's a genuine conflict the whole time because the movie is "scripted"? Wrestling can simply be defined as stunt filled theatre.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

You are wrong on the "they act as if it isn't scripted" You do precisely that with all fiction. Sometimes the combat isn't, they say "call it in the ring" and do spots (sequences or big bumps) when they feel like it. Plus they feed off the crowd. Suspend disbelief through catching a cheering crowd off guard with a sudden counter. When the actors play to the crowd you can see how with some pace you can forget. Also most people don't think it's competitive. Professional yes, but not competitive.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

If WWE is bizarre then so are movies, theater, even sports fandom. WWE is just hypermasculine theater. Outside of children, I'd say an overwhelming majority of the fans know it's fake.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

I'd say an overwhelming majority of the fans know it's fake In 2024 i would certainly hope so. I remember the exact moment when I found out it was scripted.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

It's just a different kinda of soap opera perfectly as legitimate as the other kinds I'm not a fan but it has elements that always draw attention when applied to other areas so it doesn't surprise me me it's effective here

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

It's not any different than watching an action movie. If you watch a Jackie Chan or Bruce Lee (etc) movie, you just watch for the stunts and whatever thin story line ties together the stunts to give them a little weight. Don't overthink it. The vast majority of wrestling fans like seeing the stunt show and the storyline is just something that exists to justify why the stunts are occurring.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

"You know it's fake, right?" "What are you gonna tell me next, the black dude I saw singing on stage wasn't the real Alexander Hamilton?"

by riceloyce 3 weeks ago

Its sort of like a live action soap for rednecks

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

I really enjoyed pro wrestling as a kid, and I don't begrudge adults who enjoy it. Now I enjoy live theatre, but the parallels are still there - remembering a script, physical talent, telling a story live and in real time in front of a packed building, keeping the audience engaged etc

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Is this your first time using the internet?

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Nobody at all acts like it's an unscripted sporting event, what? Its essentially an opera where they throw eachother around. People stay for the story. Bad take

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

I can think of something that recently became mainstream, hell next month will be all about it, that is far more insane

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Buncha millionaires chase a ball around a field for a while and guys (mostly guys) identify so strongly with the group that's hired to play in their city that they become depressed when they lose. Just as strange to me.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Some people just like different things than you. How odd

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

If you think WWE Wrestling is the most bizarre thing someone can be into then you have a pretty innocent mind honestly.

by Glittering_Main 3 weeks ago

Easy. It's live theater about a fictional sport that would be absurdly illegal if it were genuine.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

It's no different than getting excited about literally any other sporting event

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

I don't think this is an unpopular opinion. [+]

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

It's an aggressive soap opera for men. Hope that helps you understand it better.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

It's a soap opera for men

by DrawerFine 3 weeks ago

You know that everything you watch doesn't have to be hyper realistic or award winning? I don't know about now but when I was a teen it was hype to know Stone Cold Steve Austin was about to hit someone with a stunner. You know it's fake but it's still entertaining. It's okay to enjoy things my guy.

by Remarkable-Band 3 weeks ago

Nobody tell OP that movies, TV Shows, Plays, and videogames are all scripted.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

It is weird. I think fans just like the drama of the storylines and the nearly naked wrestlers touching each other.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

People like one-shot fight scenes in movies, like the Daredevil scene that went viral. Wrestling is basically that, mixed with a bit of theater flair.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

Dude, nobody is big mad. Many people have patiently explained why wresting is similar to dance and scripted action. You're just not interested in listening.

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago

I can think of a whole ton of things that are much much more bizarre to be into.

by Clotildekeebler 3 weeks ago

I'm not mad at your opinion whatsoever. My wife thinks it is silly too. I think it's silly. But, it's a pure form of entertainment. It's theater. It's hilarious and funny and engaging. Admittedly, I haven't watched it since I was a kid and back then you had Iranian Sheik and all kinds of bad characters and it was hilarious. Some might even call it a celebration of life....

by Anonymous 3 weeks ago