-247

You're not "one eighth Spanish" or "three fourteenths Egyptian," your nationality lies with wherever you've lived in the longest, amirite?

3 109
The voters have decided that this post is wrong! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

Well I think that people feel a connection to their ancestry, especially when it's exotic. My ancestry goes about 90 miles to Pembrokeshire and no-where else, so I don't share their vivid sense of being a global citizen...

Your nationality lies where you have grown up in my books, your citizenship where you have lived the longest, your ancestry where your parents etc are from.

@1590

I'm a citizen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland as well as the United States of America.

I get the rights from both and can live in both without issue. Although this does mean that once I earn over a certain amount I will have to pay taxes to the USA even though I live in the UK.

Chromanas avatar Chromana Yeah You Are +5Reply
@1710596

My dad explained it to me a while ago. I only have to pay taxes to the USA if I earn over a certain amount (dunno how much).
Also, any taxes I pay to the UK are deducted from the USA taxes. So I guess that means I won't have to pay much of anything to the USA assuming that taxes are similar. But it does mean I'll have to fill out 2 tax forms every year, even if the USA one says I'm not paying anything.

Meh.
I prefer to differentiate between nationality and ethnicity.

@Meh. I prefer to differentiate between nationality and ethnicity.

I agree. You can't change your ethnicity but you can change your nationality.

@I agree. You can't change your ethnicity but you can change your nationality.

Actually, you can't change your nationality that easily either. A lot of times you get to be bi or tri-citizen then :D

@1711909

I'm on it like Wallace and Gromit tonight.

In other news my sarcasm detector is currently in for repairs, it will be back in a few days.

@871

Is that why you run the site the way you do?

@871

Ahh sehr gut!!

@871

I've always wondered: how do you calculate that? Is one of your grandparents from Germany?

@1712937

Ah, see I get that but I think it's a little crazy when people start getting into eighths and lower, I just say I'm part Irish and Scottish...

There's a big difference between nationality and ethnicity.

Nationality, yes. Ethnicity, no.

This is common knowledge.

Nationality is belonging to your nation. What you said refers to ethnicity.

You either just stated a fact and passed it off as an opinion or you misunderstood the definitions between ethnicity and nationality, in which case you are factually wrong.

Either way, I don't see how this became the POTD.

This is like saying "forget your culture and history"
No.

It's always important to remember your ancestral place of origin, don't let it be blurred by an assimilation into society.

Well it looks like 90% of the comments all say the exact same thing. Good times!

I say I'm half Maltese, but only for the ladies.
Hasn't worked yet.

DHAs avatar DHA Yeah You Are +12Reply

People grasp at straws with their ethnicity - "I'm a 1/24 Spanish!!! :D :D" - to try and seem special and exotic. Face it, if you're getting to the eighths and sixteenths, you're more the country you're in than what your great-grandparents were. You ain't foolin' no one. Bl

I pride on my Latvian heritage.

Lexs avatar Lex No Way +11Reply
@1711942

I can't tell if this was a joke or not.

People tend to be more proud of their heritage than their nationality. Especially if you live in America.

Yeah, but they're not talking about their nationality. They're talking about their ethnicity...

@1711988

I know - and I agree. That's what I'm saying - at least if I understand what you're saying correctly. Because nobody ever says their "nationality" is Egyptian if they're American - and if they do, they mean ethnicity.

@1711927

Yes, but when someone says they're Egyptian, they mean they have ancestry from Egypt. Thus, the Egyptian ethnicity.

I guess, if we're going to be technical about it, nationality means: "the status of belonging to a particular nation, whether by birth or naturalization: the nationality of an immigrant. (Dictionary.com)"

So, technically, your German mother and Canadian father could have birthed you in Egypt and flown you out the next day to live your next 20 years of life in Australia, and you could say your either Egyptian or Australian.

But that's irrelevant. What I'm trying to get across is your not Irish because your mom and dad are from there. Do you know the history of the country? Do you eat the food? Have ever even been there? Etc.

It just annoys me when people try to make themselves appear more exotic than they really are.

@I guess, if we're going to be technical about it, nationality means: "the status of belonging to a particular...

exactly, its really annoying, im like, im english, and other people are like MEEE TOOO!!!!!! and then im like, really? and their like yeah totally my great grandma was from there!!!!!! itds like, cant you just love your own country?

Well I'm 1/34 martian....gotta take pride in my space heritage.

If you had one drop of black blood in you back before segregation ended you were treated as a full black even if it was 1/18

soo0o0o0o racist america strikes again

@Kayla_Loves_You If you had one drop of black blood in you back before segregation ended you were treated as a full black even if it...

I wonder how they traced that. Because I mean, if you're 1/18th black people would probably assume you're white.

On a somewhat related note, did Asians and all the rest just not exist before ~1950 in America?!

@Emperorerror I wonder how they traced that. Because I mean, if you're 1/18th black people would probably assume you're...

Not too many Asians moved to America, and if they did it was in California, where they weren't treated very well, but payed for the work they did. A good example of it is in "East of Eden"

They had the Chinese Exclusion Act for a while and this was already mentioned but a lot of Asians went to the west coast.

eastcoasts avatar eastcoast Yeah You Are 0Reply

Don't know how I feel about this. Both my parents are 100% Egyptian. They were born and grew up there, but I was born and grew up the United States. It doesn't mean I forgot about my heritage or where I'm from, I still eat Egyptian food, read, write and speak the language and visit every once in a while. All that plus a dual citizenship. I hate having to chose between the United States and my family's background. Nationality has always been a problem for me.

@1712067

After watching all these I feel culturally enriched. Do carry on

@Rashed Yay, Egyptian! :D Did you vote

I can't yet, but my parents did! Exciting isn't it?

@KoolKat I can't yet, but my parents did! Exciting isn't it?

Yep. I don't have voting rights yet too. Uhmm, out of mere curiosity; who did they vote for? Haha, I promise it won't head to a political debate. :p

the "in" after "wherever you've lived" kinda bugs me :/

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +4Reply
@Favvkes the "in" after "wherever you've lived" kinda bugs me :/

you comment on like everything ever do you know what the sun is?

@Frank_n_Furter wat?

Sorry do you know there's this thing in the sky that gives us heat?????????????????????????
maybe you havent heard of it

@1712295

While Favvkes does comment on every POTD, she comments on tons of other posts, too. Did you pull that 'fact' out of your ass?

So... America has this whole segregation crap for however long and we still have racism because some people are "European-American/White" and others are "African-American/Black"... and you're saying we should just all call ourselves Americans? http://ctrlv.in/86589

When people say that they aren't talking about their nationality

qwerty123s avatar qwerty123 Yeah You Are +4Reply

I just really hate the people that sit there for 5 min and say I'm 1% this 20% that 18% this..like stfu

Predys avatar Predy Yeah You Are +4Reply

i think you can only be half something; if one of your parents are a different ethnicity than another. i hate it when people list off everything in their 'blood'.

Pugs avatar Pug No Way +3Reply
@Pug i think you can only be half something; if one of your parents are a different ethnicity than another. i hate it...

Example:My great, great, great, great, great, parents were Irish...so Im 2% Irish if that's what you mean then I agree =)

Predys avatar Predy Yeah You Are 0Reply

I've lived in the US longer than anywhere else, but my nationality is Canadian.

Hullabaloos avatar Hullabaloo Yeah You Are +1Reply

I've never really understood that. Why is somebody born in a country, having done nothing to choose that country and have no connections by necessity with the country's cultures, values, and ideals more a part of that country than the person who gives up their old life to move to a new country because of an actual link with those values and ideals?

I'm half-welsh. Don't dis. >:O

@TroubleIsAFriend I'm half-welsh. Don't dis. >:O

Well I suppose this means I'm attracted to 50% of your body. Or attracted to you 50% of the time... Or something!

Runys avatar Runy Yeah You Are 0Reply

You're more-or-less correct about the definition of nationality, but nationality and heritage aren't the same. One can be an American by nationality and be of partially Spanish/German/Moroccan/whatever heritage.

@1712270

Has she picked up any languages along the way?

Hullabaloos avatar Hullabaloo Yeah You Are 0Reply
@1712312

So she only speaks English and a little Arabic? Do your parents consider having her taught Mandarin, and is she even interested in learning it?

@1712270

But but...then we won't be in the same time zone! :(

I was born in England, where I have always lived except for that week I went to Ireland and that other week I went to France, I pretty much consider myself a Brittish citizen.
Since we're sharing.

True, your nationality may be where you've lived the longest, but your HERITAGE is where you're ancestors are from and their nationalities combined, if that's how you want to look at it.

I don't like it when people say "I'm Italian" or "I'm Spanish". I think you should say what you are based on what says on your birth certificate. I say "I'm Brazilian" because I was born in brazil, and Lived there for 11 years. When I'm 23, I'll still say I'm Brazilian though: not just because I've lived in America for 12 years, does it mean I'm suddenly an American. I do have dual citizenship, but still consider myself as a Brazilian.
Now, if someone says "my family is 1/2 Italian and 1/2 Irish," then (in my opinion) it's okay.

I think nationality and heritage are two different things. I was born in Hawaii, but I'm not at all Hawaiian. And I've moved so many times, if I said I am only blank, I would be wrong.

My friend is half Irish and an Irish citizen, but shelives in the U.S. and has only ever visited Ireland for a few weeks or a mnth at a time. She's still Irish.

so if ive lived in nigera for most of my life am i considered to be nigerian?

@1712176

im just saying what this idiot posted lol

My friend has a dad who is Scottish, and she lived there until she was three, before she moved (with he english mother) to England, where she still lives now.
But she still classes herself as more Scottish than English, and if Scotland were to become independant, she would get a Scottish passport. Even though she is the 'more' English?!
Makes no sense to me. Half of my family come from Canada, but both my parents a were raised in England, so I am English :)

I've lived in South Africa all my life but my entire family, including parents are from Holland. My passport is Dutch and states my nationality as being Dutch. I kinda consider myself half/half.

@deeviant I've lived in South Africa all my life but my entire family, including parents are from Holland. My passport is...

Do you consider yourself Dutch? I'm of European descent as well, being mostly German and English. I consider myself South African.

Hullabaloos avatar Hullabaloo Yeah You Are +2Reply
@Hullabaloo Do you consider yourself Dutch? I'm of European descent as well, being mostly German and English. I consider myself...

Which passport do you have? And my earliest born South African ancestor... Um well I don't have one... :P

I'm half French, I've lived in America my whole life, I was born here. But I still consider myself half French. If you understand and know about your heritage then you can count yourself as that.

My family has lived in Canada for the last +100 years but I moved to Saudi Arabia when I was 11 and have lived there the longest...does that make me Saudi Arabian? I don't think so. I don't speak the language, I'm not muslim, I'm a 5ft10 caucasian blonde. I'm still Canadian.

@My family has lived in Canada for the last +100 years but I moved to Saudi Arabia when I was 11 and have lived...

"na⋅tion⋅al⋅i⋅ty
  /ˌnæʃəˈnælɪti/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [nash-uh-nal-i-tee] Show IPA
Use nationality in a Sentence
See images of nationality
Search nationality on the Web
–noun, plural -ties for 1, 2, 5, 6.
1. the status of belonging to a particular nation, whether by birth or naturalization: the nationality of an immigrant." -- Dictionary.com

I'd say living somewhere for at least 11+ years, going through two stages of life, qualifies as naturalization, so, by definition, you're both, you 5'10" Caucasian blond Saudi Arabian.

@"na⋅tion⋅al⋅i⋅ty   /ˌnæʃəˈnælɪti/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [nash-uh-nal-i-tee] Show IPA Use...

I don't disagree, but slightly off topic: if you ever quote the dictionary in an argument, you're probably an asshole.

:( I wanted to see images of nationality but it wasn't a link. Stupid comment.

First of all, it is weird that you've lived there most of your life and you can't speak the language. And it is really ignorant of you to state your height and hair colour, so you assume that no Saudis out there have your height or are blondes?

@1712354

When it started as PotD it was positive.

incorrect. nationality lies where you were born, whatever your ethnic background or country of residence may be.

@incorrect. nationality lies where you were born, whatever your ethnic background or country of residence may be.

since nobody's posted this yet smirk smilie:
Nationality
1. the status of belonging to a particular nation, whether by birth OR NATURALIZATION: the nationality of an immigrant." -- Dictionary.com

Favvkess avatar Favvkes Yeah You Are +10Reply

I'm an active participant in many Lithuanian events in Canada because my mother was born and raised there.
Are you saying I am not Lithuanian in the least, and can't take pride in my heritage?

Thanks. You made my day -.-

It's annoying when people are like "oooh, I'm from sooo many places omg lol" and they're just a mix of a bunch of European races. It's like, bitch, I'm only from one place and I'm more exotic than you.

madibs avatar madib Yeah You Are -5Reply

This website just keeps getting worse and worse...