+2,664

With great power comes a great electricity bill, amirite?

Miggles avatar
141 35
The voters have decided that Miggle is right! Vote on the post to say if you agree or disagree.

why would anyone disagree with this?

rosinbackriders avatar rosinbackrider Yeah You Are +10Reply

Actually, if you had your house outfitted with Solar Panels, windmills, and hydroelectricity, your power bill would be nil, and you might even be so lucky as to get paid for creating electricity for the plant ;D

@scrantoncity Actually, if you had your house outfitted with Solar Panels, windmills, and hydroelectricity, your power bill would...

It's expensive as hell, though. I was looking into it just the other day. Apparently, the cost to outfit the average home is in the tens of thousands. :/

SalientKs avatar SalientK Yeah You Are -1Reply
@SalientK It's expensive as hell, though. I was looking into it just the other day. Apparently, the cost to outfit the...

Yes, it's very expensive, but if you truly average it out, with a yearly energy bill, it usually pays for itself and the first 2-5 years.

@JghRocks Yes, it's very expensive, but if you truly average it out, with a yearly energy bill, it usually pays for itself...

Two to five years? Those must be some outrageous electric bills. Remember, it would take a lot of equipment and a lot of cutting back on electricity use to make this work, including the cost of long term maintenance. Unless you're paying $50,000 to $100,000 in electric bills every few years, I just don't see it being an economically sound investment. Plus it makes it harder to move, since not many other people would willing to buy a house that requires such high maintenance.

There is a future in houses built from the ground up to be self sufficient, but retrofitting some solar panels and wind turbines onto an already energy inefficient beast of a home doesn't really make sense. It's like trying to fix a broken limb by covering it in band-aids; it's too much trouble even if it does work, and it's not a very practical or efficient solution.

SalientKs avatar SalientK Yeah You Are +1Reply
@SalientK Two to five years? Those must be some outrageous electric bills. Remember, it would take a lot of equipment and a...

Yes, the equipment is expensive, but I mean, you can get a solar panel for as low as $700. Really, you can get 20 for $14,000, which is even more than you need. (Most Likely) So lets calculate that 14,000 dollars of solar panels into how much cut it'd be on energy bills. If it is about $1000 a month for a bill, you could save probably ABOUT 980 dollars a month. 980 X 12= 11670 11670 x 2 =23520. That's already more than paid for in Two Years. Thank you very much. And you know, you can take solar panels off a house for moving, and don't have to buy them again...

@JghRocks Yes, the equipment is expensive, but I mean, you can get a solar panel for as low as $700. Really, you can get 20...

Have I upset you or something? That last comment seemed a bit on edge (i.e., "thank you very much").

Most people's electric bills are not $1,000; most people do not know how to hook up a solar system to their electric grid, so you can factor in the cost of an electrician; most solar panels for homes are meant to be stable, as in, anchored down somewhere; and finally, most people cannot just suddenly deal out $14,000 (even if that's only how much it would cost) in one single payment. Even gradually setting up this system does not make sense. It's a whole lot less trouble to just pay the electric bill every month. That's all I'm saying.

@SalientK Have I upset you or something? That last comment seemed a bit on edge (i.e., "thank you very much"). Most people's...

But it costs a lot less to hook up the solar panels. And you can either: Look up HOW to hook them up, or hire someone to do it. But I mean really? Would you want to play 200 dollars a year for power or 12000?
And I'm just proving my point, thank you very much.

My (my dad's) electricity bill every month is $1,000-$1,200. And in the winter, the gas + electric is even more, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks investing in solar panels, etc would be a good long-term investment.

I was scrolling down the page really fast and when I past this post it looked like it said "white power" I was like what the heck. Then I saw what it really said.

Just thought I'd tell ya'll that.

I wonder what Obama pays for electricity...

8 people don't like the truth.

@555205

Right back at you.

LOL!!! literal power xD

And some very happy power plant owners.

its on 1991 MY BIRTH YEAR!

@Legendtobe91 its on 1991 MY BIRTH YEAR!

Yes! It's on 2273! My birth year.

Disregard that...you're not supposed to know I exist...

OMG! no way,

you want a cookie?

Hahaha, great 1 <3

THAT'S what he meant by "responsibility"...

heh heh heh u guys r funnnnyyyy :D OMG!!! :D btw my name is supposed to be "magical unicorn potato" but da stupid thing cut me off :( MAGICAL UNICORN POTATOES, UNITE!!!!!!!!! :D i <3 potatoes.... and UNICORNS!!!!!!! especially MAGICAL unicorns!

@xDamian Lame.

Your face is lame.

What's a bill?

@What's a bill?

(dumb blonde): obamas paycheck